Saturday 30 June 2012

Degrees of separation

There are lots of degrees of separation.
This is one example.
Bruce Ralston found some sasines and deeds in relation to our mutual ancestors. One such ancestor is William Ralston for whom Bruce found a marriage contract (which I have been unable to find this visit).
But I did find that a William Ralston (which one I'm not quite sure) entered into a Deed of Mortification. This has nothing to do with injured pride.
Indeed a notable jurist, Alexander Irvine,, set out the Scottish legal meaning of a Deed of Mortification.
Alexander was one of the Irvines of Drum Castle. James Hamilton Irvine was a younger son from Drum Castle.
And I used to find my horse at the bottom of [James] Irvine's paddock when I came home for school holidays.
I also used to ride my horse across Campbell's paddock.
Named after William Campbell of Dunmore (whether Victoria, Australia or Kilberry, Argyll).
William Campbell and his two school friends James Irvine and Charles Macknight originally selected Dunmore Victoria in 1842. Unfortunately for William his elder brother James died in 1839 just as William was planning his journey to Australia. Nevertheless William came to Australia but had to return home in 1847. But he retained his investment in Dunmore, Victoria. However, William died in 1865 just when the partnership required funds to purchase the freehold of Dunmore, Victoria.
So the remaining two partners sold part of the run to Thomas Brown of Squattleseamere (where I lived as a child) and acquired short term funds from the merchant Horace Flower.
But misfortune struck again in1873 when Charles Macknight died.
Subsequently my great grandfather Samuel Baulch obtained the Rose Park portion of Dunmore before obtaining the rest of Dunmore (including the paddocks Irvine's and Campbell'sin 1895.)

No comments:

Post a Comment