Wednesday 13 June 2012

Copper, cuckoos and coffee

Just as I am preparing to leave I have found that the Cheescake Factory serves coffee in a china cup, that there is a bookshop two train stops away in a shopping centre that is pleasant and doesn't remind me of what I imagine the factory outlet for the $2 shop would look like or what a town suffering from the GFC might look like.
Sunday before last we went out to Keneecott copper. The mine must be the only thing that is in full swing on a Sunday. Just a big hole where a mountain was really. There even must be a bigger one in the world as Kennecott's claim to fame is confined to the North American continent. Has the Chilean copper mine taken over as the biggest, deepest etc/
Past lots of new houses built roof to roof like the new estates at home. Notice I didn't say eaves to eaves. Copper seems to sustain the local economy.
As well as the church. Suffered a sermon (albeit short) two Sundays in a row now. Confining the choir to female voices (with the first descant I have heard), clarinet, flutes and a harp doesn't make the melody bright and beautiful. Nor does singing When I sruvey the Wondrous Cross at the speed of a dirge impart any wonder into the voices. I like my Hymns Ancient and Modern. Although not so modern anymore I suppose.
Which brings me to the cuckoos. Which are driving me ... To introduce tourists to the wildlife in Utah some of the walk signs are sounds of local bird life. Including said cuckoo. And what sounds like a Indian miner suffering heat stress.
I now have four door cards, left my money behind when I went to the Post Office yesterday and asked for help because the photocopier wasnt' recognising my room card as a photo copy card. So I think I have the hang of this place.
Trying to cram in a few more films before London. And then lots of work in Edinburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment